Bug report - BOM on UTF-8 files + treat files as text filter

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
theol

Bug report - BOM on UTF-8 files + treat files as text filter

Post by theol »

ExamDiff Pro 5.5.1.8 (x64)

Issue 1:
When comparing two UTF-8 text files (with extension .sql or .xml in my case), that have a standard UTF-8 BOM header(EF BB BF), the files are automatically identified as binary files instead of text.
The only way I could find to treat files as text is to use the "treat all files as text" option.

The UTF-8 standard BOM of should not cause the file to be treated as binary.

Issue 2:
Force text/binary comparison has "always treat these files as text" option. I tried to use this to for the .sql files from issue 1 to be treated as text files. It did not work.

I know this is not the latest version, but I cannot find anything to show these bugs have been identified and fixed.

I would appreciate if anyone with the latest version can confirm whether or not these bugs have been fixed.

Thanks
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Bug report - BOM on UTF-8 files + treat files as text fi

Post by psguru »

I can confirm that both issues are no present in the latest build of 7.0. Please give it a try. If it still doesn't work, please attach your exported options.
psguru
PrestoSoft
theol

Post by theol »

In view of the information, I saved current settings, then reset all the applications settings.

Hey-presto - it now works.

By going through the options, it seems like the real culprit is the option "Always treat these files as binary" - with the default of filter value set to *.pdf (the default). If this option is checked, it seems to treat ALL files as binary - not just those matching the filter (i.e. PDF files).
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

theol wrote:By going through the options, it seems like the real culprit is the option "Always treat these files as binary" - with the default of filter value set to *.pdf (the default). If this option is checked, it seems to treat ALL files as binary - not just those matching the filter (i.e. PDF files).
I cannot reproduce this.
psguru
PrestoSoft