Compare xml document

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Michael Nesterenko

Compare xml document

Post by Michael Nesterenko »

Hi

I have several xml documents. Can I compare them not as text but as a tree? So the diff will show changed nodes and not changed lines.

Thanks.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Compare xml document

Post by psguru »

Using XML plug-ins (See Options | Plug-ins) will normalize and format XML files before comparison but in the end the results will still look like text file comparison. You may need to use a specialized XML diff tool if the above will not suffice.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Michael Nesterenko

My xml file consists of several nodes:

<root>
<data1>....</data1>
<data2>....</data2>
<data3>....</data3>
</root>

contents of each <data> node are similar, so sometimes examdiff compares elements across <data> node boundary (not sure if explain it correctly). I want to compare data node only to its counterpart in another file, like there is only single data node in both files and not between each other, so data1 will only be compared to data1 and not to data2 etc. Are there any trick to achieve it? I can control file contents, so probably there is some kind of marker that could be put into file to delimit different parts?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

You can manually link lines using manual synchronization. Make sure that View | Synchronizing Splitter is on, then use the mouse in the grey areas of the splitter to link lines.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Michael Nesterenko

Wow, thanks.

This seems to be what I need.