Installation directory is default instead of previous

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
AlexL
Expert Member

Installation directory is default instead of previous

Post by AlexL »

Hello.

Today I installed EDP Pro v6 over v4.5.2.2.

My v4.5.2.2 was installed in D:\Program Files\...
I downloaded v6 and launched the installer without uninstalling v4.5.2.2.
I expected the installer of v6 to prompt me the old directory when I tried to install v6, but instead it suggested me to install EDP Pro to directory C:\Program Files\ (not D:).
By chance, I updated today some other applications (from other companies), and they handled their update properly - they suggested the old existing directory as a default for the new installation.
But EDP Pro v6 installer seems to suggest the default directory without dependence on location of existing (installed) version.
Is this a bug of EDP Pro installer, or intentional behaviour?

Thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Installation directory is default instead of previous

Post by psguru »

Judging by the directory name (C:\Program Files), were you installing a 64-bit build? Did you only have a 32-bit build installed before? If so, it explains the installer behavior.
psguru
PrestoSoft
AlexL
Expert Member

Post by AlexL »

psguru wrote:Judging by the directory name (C:\Program Files), were you installing a 64-bit build? Did you only have a 32-bit build installed before? If so, it explains the installer behavior.
No, I was installing 32-bits installer in 32-bits Windows over 32-bits old version.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I see. After checking our installation scripts, this behavior is intentional. It is to allow user to have multiple versions of ExamDiff Pro. However, if you update, say, version 6.0 with a newer build the installer will remember where 6.0 is installed (separately for 32- and 64-bit builds).
psguru
PrestoSoft