comparing THREE files at once

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
PowerBuilderGuy

comparing THREE files at once

Post by PowerBuilderGuy »

I desperately need an option to compare three files simultaneously. It would simplify things greatly for me. So far I couldn't find such feature in the program, neither was it ever mentioned it was planned to add it in the future.
I'm really surprised no one ever came up with a similar request. To me, it's a must-have feature of any file comparison software.

Any help? Thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: comparing THREE files at once

Post by psguru »

The request is there (http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_suggestions.asp), and 3-way diff and merge is coming in the next version.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Murr2k

Post by Murr2k »

If you are in a hurry for 3-way compare (common ancestor in the middle) try Araxis Merge
And like a tabbed browser, it saves comparisons that you've done so you can easily look at them again. I love that feature.
I also like that you can save the left window or the right window with Ctrl-1 or Ctrl-2. It's the simple things that make life easy.
Maybe these features are in ExamDiff? I haven't found them yet.
MudGuard
Expert Member

Post by MudGuard »

In ExamDiffPro, the default keys for saving first/second file are Ctrl-F11 and Ctrl-F12 - but this can be changed to your preferred keys in the options Options - Global - Keyboard ...
arobustus1

Post by arobustus1 »

Interesting, I asked about a 4-way and was told no way no how. If the 3 way is in successful what about a 4 way? Programmers of advanced sliding headstock lathes (we really are out here) will beat a path to your door! Many will jump at the 3-way but I use 2 and 4.
-plh
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

We'll start with 3-way diff and merge and see were to go from there.
psguru
PrestoSoft