Excel Files

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
rcabrera

Excel Files

Post by rcabrera »

how can /i compare excel spreadsheets
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Excel Files

Post by psguru »

Excel files are compared via the plug-in (xls2csv.exe) that is installed along with other plug-ins when you install ExamDiff Pro.
psguru
PrestoSoft
rcabrera

Post by rcabrera »

when I started using the tool I was able to do excel files for a day, the next day I went to used it and it gives me funny characters, I looked up support and I see that there are no plug ins installed, do they come on the download automatically?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

The best thing to do is to reinstall ExamDiff Pro, and during the installation select to download and install plug-ins (there will be a checkbox on one of the forms).
psguru
PrestoSoft
rcabrera

Post by rcabrera »

that solved the issue! thanks
rcabrera

Post by rcabrera »

when I compare date fields the tool detects differences, however when it displays the date field on the comparison results the date value display is not equal to the value in the file field for exel
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

ExamDiff Pro will display whatever the conversion plug-ins makes out of the Excel file, which will be raw text data. In this case, I think, Excel formats date fields while the raw data does not contain any formatting.
psguru
PrestoSoft
rgr09

Post by rgr09 »

I keep getting an error message when I try to compare two xls files: "xls2csv.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." When I continue it says: "failed to execute plug-in \...\xls2csv.exe \...\filename; its return code was -10737441819 instead of expected 0. filename will be compared without applying plug-in."

This error occurs when one of the files being compared has a date field earlier than 1970/1/1. :shock:

Is there a patch for this problem or any workaround?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I'm not aware of any. You may want to try searching for xls2csv.exe on the Web, perhaps there's a solution out there (xls2csv.exe is a third-party tool, which we have no control over).
psguru
PrestoSoft