examDiff 1.8 -- total failure

General questions about using ExamDiff, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
stevenjs

examDiff 1.8 -- total failure

Post by stevenjs »

Greetings,

I have this app at home, some previous version, and it's the cat's meow. I recommend it wherever I go to work.

However, where I'm working now I don't have an Admin login, and was delighted to find the free version of examDiff, 1.8, installed without requiring Admin login.

However, it completely fails to peform any comparison. First there is a popup warning that the files I am comparing are DIFFERENT. When the comparison windows open, however, both sides are completely blank. This is the case no matter how different the files are, or which files are compared.

What gives? Am I missing something?

I tried to install v1.7, but this version does seem to require an Admin login to install.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: examDiff 1.8 -- total failure

Post by psguru »

1.8 is not much different from 1.7 (see http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_edhistory.asp#1.8)
However, it completely fails to peform any comparison. First there is a popup warning that the files I am comparing are DIFFERENT. When the comparison windows open, however, both sides are completely blank. This is the case no matter how different the files are, or which files are compared.

What gives? Am I missing something?
Are your files binary? Did you press Cancel in the results message box?
I tried to install v1.7, but this version does seem to require an Admin login to install.
No, it does not, just like 1.8 or any older versions.
psguru
PrestoSoft
moonmadness

Post by moonmadness »

I have the same problem
I compare two txt files in the compare window, when i click OK, the program says:
"Binary files X and Y are different. Press Cancel to quit". when i press ok, the two windows are blank. if i press cancel, the program quits.
what to do?
thanks!
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

There's not much you can do. You files are binary, and ExamDiff is not capable of displaying detailed binary comparison results. The only thing you can do is to use the "Treat both files as text files" option under Options | Compare. This will force ExamDiff to use the text comparison mode but the results may not pretty (depending on the nature of your files).
psguru
PrestoSoft
moonmadness

Post by moonmadness »

I don't think my files are binary, unless i misunderstand the meaning of binary files.
my files are simple txt files, created in notepad.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Are they Unicode files (you can save files as Unicode (UTF-16) in Notepad)? If so, ExamDiff does not support Unicode. ExamDiff Pro (http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiffpro.asp) on the other hand does.
psguru
PrestoSoft