Problem: importing settings can mess up EDP

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Alexo
Expert Member

Problem: importing settings can mess up EDP

Post by Alexo »

I imported settings from another computer and "Show statistics" stopped working.

I managed to fix it, by comparing the settings to an exported backup, but this illustrates the problem:

The exported settings are just a dump of the EDP registry entries, which contain both user settings and and entries that users should not be touching.
A better approach would be to separate them and allow exporting/importing only the former.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Problem: importing settings can mess up EDP

Post by psguru »

All settings are treated the same, there is no such separation. What exactly did you find that broke your settings?
psguru
PrestoSoft
Alexo
Expert Member

Post by Alexo »

psguru wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:46 pm All settings are treated the same, there is no such separation.
I know, I suggested to make one.
psguru wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:46 pm What exactly did you find that broke your settings?
some of the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro\DockingPaneLayouts\DockingLayout] subkeys got messed up.
Alpengreis
Expert Member

Post by Alpengreis »

Yes, I remember - years ago I had something similar or even the same behaviour. I managed it too somehow ...
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

The only chance to fix a possible bug here is to reproduce the issue. If anyone has a reproducible scenario, we'll look at it.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Alexo
Expert Member

Post by Alexo »

I strongly suggest backing up the registry branch beforehand, so it can be restored if things go south.
Alpengreis
Expert Member

Post by Alpengreis »

Yes, without reproducable files ... sad, that I could and can not support you with ...

However: for a possible next time I will try to make a reproducable scenario with files screenshots and more if necessary.