Format Computer/Reinstall

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
limetwist2011

Format Computer/Reinstall

Post by limetwist2011 »

Hi I'm planning on formatting my computer and upgrade to Win. 7 and want to reinstall clean copies of my programs.
- Do I need to do anything with Exam Diff like uninstall/deactivate the current license in order to Reinstall it on the same computer after it's been formatted?
- After I reformat the computer, what's the best way to reinstall the Exam Diff ( I don't have a CD), and what do I need to do license wise to get the software to work?
Thanks.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Format Computer/Reinstall

Post by psguru »

You need to save the password.bin file from the ExamDiff Pro directory (where the ExamDiff.exe file is located). Once you reformat your hard drive, download and install the appropriate version of ExamDiff Pro (you can download ExamDiff Pro from http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_download.asp) and then copy your saved password file to the ExamDiff Pro directory.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

I suggest to save (export to file) the options you're using, then reload them from that file to skip a bit of the annoying task of reconfiguring everything.

If you personalized the program (toolbars etc.) and you're confident enough to work on the windows registry, then you can restore your settings by exporting the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro
Then, of course, reimporting it in the new system.

For psguru: why not to allow the user to do that in a simpler (safer) way?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

For psguru: why not to allow the user to do that in a simpler (safer) way?
One day we'll switch to file-based options instead of using the Registry but this day has not come yet.
psguru
PrestoSoft